Reaching your personal record is one of the most satisfying moments in your life, but what happens when you plateau?
A stagnation period can happen at any time and can be brief or disturbingly long. The brief interludes usually amount to life changes, disturbances in sleep patterns due to stress, or lower energy from overtraining.
One method to combat this problem that has been used for decades is called the Heavy, Light and Medium System. This is how it works:
- Pick three compound exercises
- Pick three days a week to work out (it’s important your body fully recovers from each workout)
- Perform 5 sets of 5 reps for each exercise
- Day 1 – lift heavy (to your limit)
- Day 2 – rest
- Day 3 – lift light (70-80% of your lifting weight on Monday)
- Day 4 – rest
- Day 5 – lift medium (80-90% of your lifting weight on Monday)
- Day 6 & 7 – rest
How do you combat stagnation in your training?