Fitmark Ambassador Ashley Kurtenbach gives you the tips you need to reach your goals
It’s not a secret that a healthy and fit lifestyle takes dedication and discipline, so why in the beginning is it so fun and exciting and halfway through the process for one reason or another we hit a bump in the road and can become completely unmotivated.
If you are new to fitness, healthy living, working out, or you need some re-motivation because you may have hit a plateau or stuck in a slump; I can offer some of the motivation tips I use to help you get motivated and stay motivated.
- Set a Goal – I can’t stress how important it is to set a goal, how are you supposed to know how to get to where you want to be, if you don’t have the end in mind. Start small, make it realistic, set a time frame, and don’t let it be too far out of reach. Life gets busy and things get in the way and can make us forget about our goals, because they aren’t a priority, in the “right now” moments. Goals are for you, to be a better and healthier you; you , your happiness, and your health and body should be a priority and often times we let the things in life get in the way and we get so busy taking care of everyone else we forget about ourselves.
- Research/ Read About It- Seems time consuming…maybe, but if you really want to make progress, it is key to educate yourself on the best way to get started and how to get there. I would suggest finding a fitness website or blog that appeals to you and that you find helpful, one that contains workout plans, diet tips, or even the latest and greatest in gear and supplements.
- Make a Plan – Sit down, write out your goal, and write out your schedule. Then work the steps to get achieve your goal into your schedule. Obviously, this takes great time management and is extremely important, because if it isn’t planned into your daily/weekly/monthly routine it just won’t happen. When your workouts are planned into your schedule, you are less likely to blow them off when something comes up during the day.
- Share It– Share your goal and what you are trying to achieve with loved ones and those who are around you daily, like your co-workers. If you tell them what you are trying to achieve, they can not only act as accountability partners, but will understand why it’s important to you and will help you get to the end. Your family, friends, and co-workers will be your support system, your very own cheerleaders, and when you have bad days they are not only there to help pick you up but also to celebrate your milestones.
Remember to stay away from the naysayers, and stick to the positive people in your life.
- Sacrifice & Balance– Something has to give, unfortunately that is the reality of it. If you want to better yourself in the health and physical aspect, there will always be something in your life that has to give in order for you to have time to reach your destination. It might be sleep, watching TV, time spent doing other hobbies; that is why it is so important to plan it into your schedule and find a healthy balance.
When taking on a new lifestyle finding a balance can be tough, because when you start something new it can easily consume your life; if you become obsessed over it, it can destroy certain areas. It’s good to be passionate about a positive change and your goals but extremely important to not let the other things that matter in life slip. Find Balance!
- Motivate & Inspire – Ask yourself why, why you want to hit your goal? Why you want to lose the weight or live a healthier lifestyle? What are the benefits or results of achieving it?
Use these answers to motivate you, you may want to get in shape for a big event, fit back into some old or new clothes, whatever it is use it as daily motivation. Find previous photos for inspiration or find photos of those who inspire you.
For me I use Post-it notes (I get that from my mom) , they surround me with daily reminders. They are filled with my reasons why I do what I do, favorite quotes, or things that continue to push me.
Find motivation and inspiration from those around you and use visual things to keep you pushing forward.
- Journal It– It’s not a bad idea to mark down things you have learned along your journey, mark your milestones, it is a great tool to look back on and see how far you have come. Use this as another motivator and also it can be used to teach others what you have learned along the way.
- Love Yourself At Every Step- On your way to a goal, life can be a bit like rollercoaster, it has its peaks and valleys. There will be days that you think you haven’t made an ounce of progress, not true! If you are dedicated and truly doing the best you can, you are making progress, every little bit counts. Don’t let one step back or one slip-up, allow you to give up everything you have done up to that point.
There will be days where your body image doesn’t appeal to you, that is a normal feeling. You can ask some of the fittest people in world if they think they look good every day, and most will say they share the same feeling about themselves. Remember to always love yourself at every step in the process, it’s a lifestyle change. It takes patience to see results, that is frustrating, but just be you and do your thing and you will get your results.
- Visualize – Always keep the end in mind. I can assure you there will be times that you may think you are ready to give up, give in, and walk away… DON’T! The end goal is attainable and you will succeed if you never lose sight of it.
- Finish Strong – Finish until you have hit your first goal! Celebrate your successes and then set your expectations for what you want to achieve next.
Besides it’s always easier the second time around.
Good luck on your fitness journey.
Fitmark Ambassador 2013