Fitmark Ambassador Kim Keeler explains how to find the motivation you need to workout
How do you find motivation to exercise when you don’t feel like it? You have to find it and keep going with it! You have to do it for yourself not anyone else.
- Log your exercise, date, time and duration. Note how you feel before, during and after you are done.
- Find a workout partner. You may find that this will motivate you and hold you accountable.
- Read magazines to get fitness and exercise tips. Incorporate those things into your daily routine.
- Make it your time, set a schedule and follow through with it. Make it as important as brushing your teeth, getting gas in your car, charging your cell phone and so on.
- Have a plan for cardio. Find something that you like to do, walk, run, bike, row on rowing machine, jump rope, stretch, stair stepper and so on. Find something you like to do and that you can get results from.
- Reward yourself. Set a goal and when you meet and exceed it reward yourself. Go to dinner, have your favorite dessert, have an indulgence that you have been refraining from having.
- Hire a trainer. They can teach you new things and ensure you are doing the proper exercises to help you reach your goals.
- Do it for yourself, not others. Set small attainable goals. Take before and after pictures.
By following a few of these simple tips you will learn how to change your perspective on working out. Include different types of exercise in your routine to change it up and help eliminate boredom. Your goal may be to lose weight, gain weight, build lean muscle mass, fit into your favorite bikini, wear your pre-pregnancy jeans, feel better or improve your overall health. Once you start working out you will feel more energized and feel better. Working out also will boost your metabolism and help you burn the food you eat faster.
In January of 2012 I was ready for a change. I started to look at different options for working out. I came across a local gym that offered Fit Camps and personal training services. I went and met with a trainer and from that day forward my life was forever changed. I joined the gym and committed to doing Fit Camps every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and personal training once a week. My overall goal was to get in better shape and become the “BEST ME” I could be. I went into it with the mindset that I didn’t want or need to lose weight I wanted to get more toned. Well in January I started at 128 pounds and 20% body fat. By April I had lost 10 pounds and my body fat had dropped to 10.2%. I felt amazing and people around me were beginning to notice the changes and started asking me what I was doing. I had drastically cut my running from 70 miles a week to just 30 minutes of cardio a day. My life was forever changed. Along the way I inspired my mom who is 65 years old to start following a nutrition plan to help her meet her goals and she also started to go to the gym with me 3 days a week. I would also like to mention I work full time and have 2 kids involved in all sorts of activities. I consistently go to the gym 6 days a week and Monday thru Friday my alarm goes off at 3:10 am and I arrive at the gym at 3:30 am. It is the only time of the day that I’m free to go workout and I’m dedicated to going.
In August of 2012 I decided to compete in my first NPC Bikini Show. It was the NPC Battle of Champions of November 17. I followed a strict plan during this time and was able to drop my body fat to 9.2 pounds, my weight to 118 pounds and had increased my muscle by 3.5 pounds. It was one of the most amazing and rewarding experiences I have ever had. Walking on to that stage knowing that I had completely changed my body and my way of thinking about working out and training. I placed 2nd in the Women’s Masters Bikini and 4th in Open Medium Class Women’s Bikini. I was thrilled, I had overcome my absolute fear of the stage and competed and placed! The best part about all of it was I had my husband and kids support 100% of the time. Since competing I have had 8 different people reach out to me for advice and help. I’m happy to say I now have 2 friends who have signed up to train with my trainer for a NANBF show in April and the other 6 people have joined my gym, bought personal training sessions or nutrition plans from my trainer. It is an amazing feeling to know the steps I have taken have encouraged people to make a change!
It all comes down to disciplining yourself until it becomes a habit. Find a strategy and a plan that works for you and start today!
Fitmark Ambassador 2013