Cardio is a great way to get your heart pumping, lose body fat and give you more energy. Most people don’t really enjoy doing cardio but the fact is you do need at least a little bit of it. If you’re going to do it, you may as well do it properly and get the most out of it as possible.
Here are my top 5 tips for making it happen and making it work:
1. If your cardio option is something you truly detest, don’t do it.Trying to force yourself to do what you hate will make you learn to dislike exercise.
2. Don’t let yourself get bored. This is one of the reasons why so many peoples exercise routines fail. Mix up machines and add activities and sports.
3. Calculate your target heart rate to find out where you should be according to your goals. For most people, this means 220 minus your age.
4. Use proper form. Don’t lean over the treadmill and grab the handles and let it pull you. This will interfere with optimal calorie burn and strain your back and wrists. They are there for balance, not support.
5. Try intervals. You can vary your interval times week to week. One week do 30 second intervals and the next, do 5 min intervals. Interval training has been proven to burn more fat vs steady rate cardio.
Fitmark Ambassador 2013