If you have a passion of any sort (and it doesn’t just have to be fitness or a sport), you should understand the importance of balance. Even if you’re an investor, website developer, entrepreneur, mom, personal trainer, or a scrapbooker, etc. …. you must have balance in your life. Where other things, people, places and events.. STILL MATTER!
There are many different definitions of balance in the dictionary, but I am going to choose this one:
“Mental steadiness or emotional stability; habit of calm behavior, judgment, etc. “
I chose this definition, because this is where I think we tend to lose our balance.
1. We lack in emotional stability because, the fact that we limit ourselves while sticking to a training or nutrition plan, can be mentally grueling.
2. We can lose our mental focus if we are training so intensively, or trying to fit multiple actives into our schedule, that our brain fogs over and we forget what is important.
3. Maybe the most important, is “habit of calm behaviour/judgment“. We start to make irrational decisions just to get to where we want to be, and potentially forget the feelings of others, or even that there are others in our lives.
Tips to maintaining BALANCE:
- Make a list (especially if you fog over easily) of what and who is important to you, as you head in-season or arrive at a busy crossroad in your life.
- With that list visualize or write down ways you will maintain contact and balance in those areas even while training or getting involved in ANY passion you may have.
- When you are losing sight of important people/places and events around you, STOP, step back and remember that there are many years in your life, and although your passion will take dedication, it shouldn’t be at the cost of relationships.
- Balance your passion with other peoples passions, go out to a movie, visit a friend, play in the Park with your kids, whatever it is, feed other peoples passions as well. Its very rewarding.
At the end of the day, you and your circle of friends and family will be much happier if you work to balance your passions with other priorities. Competitions, goals and dreams will be more easily achieved, and the journey there, will be much more enjoyable!
Fitmark Ambassador 2013