Everyone has something on the horizon that they would like to accomplish. If wanting something bad enough helped you to accomplish your goals, everyone would have everything they ever wanted. When I decided to run my first half marathon in 2011, I made sure that my goal was met by following a few simple steps.
Here are the steps to ensure that you reach your next goal.
- Write it down. As soon as you write it down, your goal becomes real and attainable.
- Be specific. List the ways you hope to achieve your goal and what steps you must take in order to reach it.
- Assign a timeline to your goal. When do you hope to meet your goal?
- Make your goals realistic and attainable. Trying to lose 100 pounds in one month is not attainable and you are setting yourself up to fail. Trying to lose 100 pounds in twelve months is a much more attainable goal.
- Tell people around you. Letting your friends, family and coworkers know you are trying to reach a goal helps them to push you along and help you through any setbacks.
- Know there will be setbacks. People fall off the wagon all the time. It will happen, just re-focus yourself and hop back on!
- Celebrate milestones. Find ways to celebrate specific points in your journey. If you hope to run a marathon, celebrate every extra mile you add. If you hope to do 100 push-ups in a row, celebrate every 10 push-ups to add to your total.
- Constantly review your goal. Is your goal still attainable? Do you need to change your steps to achieving it? Use your review to either pat yourself on the back for a job well done so far or as a kick in the pants to get back on track.
When I was training for the half marathon, I had the setbacks, I celebrate my milestones and I made sure the world knew what I was working towards. Having support and check points made my training so much easier!
With these steps in place you are on the right track to accomplishing something amazing for yourself!
Fitmark Ambassador 2013