Traveling, whether for work or pleasure, can be stressful as we depart from the comfort of our normal routines. If you work out in a gym or go for a daily run, you may not have access to equipment or familiar paths to follow. Sleep schedules are off due to new surroundings and time zone changes. Let’s face it, traveling and sticking with your workout routine can be difficult.
It’s important to find a way to stick to your goals and stay active while away from home. Work travel can be extremely busy with packed schedules full of meetings, presentations and networking events. Take the time to incorporate some type of activity each day. It will keep you on track and provide you with energy for the long day ahead.
Here are five simple ways you can incorporate exercise when traveling:
1. Do you enjoy running? Visit the concierge or reservations desk for maps of local trails and paths. Most hotels or resorts have multiple options and distances to accommodate guests and their individual needs. It also gives you time to go outside and get away from the meeting room when traveling for work.
2. Large hotels and resorts may offer classes or personal training sessions for guests for free or a minimum cost. Take a Yoga or Pilates class in the morning to relax your mind and body before a busy work day.
3. 20 minute hotel room workout:
WARMUP: 10 body weight squats, 25 jumping jacks & 10 walk-outs (2X)
REPEAT as many circuits as you can in 20 minutes
– 20 Bodyweight Speed Squats
– Lunges (10 each side)
– 15 squat jumps
– 10 Push-Ups
– 20 Bicycle Crunches
4. Schedule your gym time. Most work trips are packed full of meetings each day. Plan your gym time and workouts in your calendar ahead of time and make them an appointment you can’t miss!
5. Did you forget your gym gear? Is your suitcase over-packed with no room for your sneakers? No worries! Hotels, such as the Westin, have partnered up with fitness apparel companies to provide guests with gym attire to accommodate airline travelers who want to pack light. Westin guests can borrow New Balance brand shoes, shorts, shirts along with capri pants and sports bras for women for $5 which includes a new pair of socks to keep.
These are just a few ways to incorporate exercise into your travel. Instead of skipping the gym or making excuses, find ways to stay active while on the go!
Fitmark Ambassador 2014