Earlier this year, Fitmark made a promise to be more involved with the Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA), and we’re doing just that. Every year the Los Angeles County Alliance for Boys & Girls Clubs of America present their Youth of the Year Award, the premier recognition program for Club members. We’re excited to tell you that Fitmark Founder & CEO, Mark Samuel is proud to be one of the judges on the panel for 2016.
Kids need positive role models, and if our team can showcase that positivity, even for one kid, we’re doing our job – Fitmark Founder and CEO, Mark Samuel.
Each one of these exceptional teens will compete for the chance to win the top scholarship of $50,000. Meet this year’s finalists for the BGCA Youth of the Year Award 2016:
Youth of the Year 2016 Finalists
- Jose Caro – Los Angeles
- Michelle Rivera – Whittier
- Kristina Rodriguez – Carson
- Kiyaam Cooksey – Challengers
- Karen Ventura – The Antelope Valley
- Julisa Zamora – Venice
- Alizè Neal – The Foothills
- Colbie Withersoon – Santa Monica
- Alexis Gallegos-Caldera – Malibu
- Kaeli Johnson – San Pedro
- Elizabeth Garcia – Los Angeles
- Sapphire Price – Burbank & Greater East Valley
- Eli Gramajo
- Jennie Valenzo – Santa Clarita Valley
- Diana Meza – Los Angeles Harbor
- Ronnie Oloimooja – The South Bay
- Evelyn Marquez – East Valley
- Alan Zulalyan – East Los Angeles
- Amber Batchelor – West San Gabriel Valley
- Jannyda Are – Pomona Valley
- Brian Juarez – Watts/Willowbrook
- Bianca Perez – San Fernando Valley
- Stephanie Gomez – West Valley
- Margarita Gomez – Rio Hondo
- Joshua Hing – Pasadena
- Christos Young – Long Beach
- Edgar Cotto – Hollywood
Some of these teens have grown up being Club members. Over the years, through BGCA’s many programs, they’ve developed the life skills necessary to succeed as role models and leaders in their communities.
The Boys & Girls Clubs are not just about getting help with your homework or helping you find a hobby, they truly transform your life. They’ve helped me become a better friend, a better son, and just a better person in general ~ Brian Juarez, Club member and 2016 finalist.
This year, through the Youth of the Year program, they’ve been recognized for their high achievements, and for demonstrating:
- Academic success
- Strong moral character
- Success in life goals
- Poise and public speaking
- The value of family and community
Here’s how the Youth of the Year recognition program works:
- Local Clubs recognize members ages 14 to 18 as Youth of the Month winners.
- Each Club then select a Youth of the Year, who then participates in state competitions.
- State winners each receive a $1,000 scholarship and participate in regional competitions.
- Five regional winners each receive a $10,000 scholarship and compete on the national level.
- The National Youth of the Year receives up to an additional $50,000 scholarship and is installed by the President of the United States.
Everyone’s a winner! Especially Fitmark. From the beginning, we made it a commitment to work hard and grow our company so that we not only achieved our growth projections, but that we also gave back to the community as much as we could. We’re so excited to be helping this amazing organization, and can’t wait to meet the finalists and hear their essays and speeches. Such an amazing opportunity for these kids to shine and demonstrate how much they’ve grown and learned over the years.
The Youth of the Year event takes place on March 23 at Walt Disney Studio’s premier cinema – El Capitan Theatre, Hollywood. If you’d like to get involved or learn more, please visit: greatfuturesla.org
Sport Your Lifestyle
The Fitmark Team